Houston, do you know what to do when your home has been damaged by a flood or water? At ServiceMaster Advantage, we have years of experience and expertise in Houston water damage restoration. Water damage restoration is an emergency business and ServiceMaster Advantage is here to serve you, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Though you should always get a professional to assist you when faced with Houston water damage there are a few steps you can take to prevent further damage. The first thing to know is that Houston water damage claims increase substantially if prompt action is not taken to contain the damage. Thus, you should act quickly and take the following steps if your home has been affected by water damage:
- Use fans to circulate the air and assist drying
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting. If there is also Houston fire damage be careful not to run or press soot into fabrics.
- Wipe furniture dry.
- If the outside temperature is above 60 degrees, you can use dehumidifiers.
- Lift draperies off the carpet, loop through a plastic or wood coat hanger, and place the hanger on the drapery rod.
- Prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying and place small wood blocks or aluminum foil under furniture legs.
- Remove wet area rugs or other floor coverings.
- Open drawers and doors to enhance drying.
- Move photos, paintings, and art objects to a safe, dry location.
- Remove wet fabrics and dry them as soon as possible. Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Remove damp books from shelves and spread out to dry
- If you are dealing with water damage alone and your furnace or air conditioner is safe to use you can use them to facilitate drying. If the damage occurs during a cool season, leave the heat on. Do not use excessive heating to speed drying. During the summer you can run your air conditioner to remove moisture.
- Follow these tips and you can help prevent further damage to your home and belongings. When you’re in need of professional Houston water damage restoration services, call ServiceMaster Advantage.