When you suffer through a disaster such as Houston fire damages, the damage both physically and emotionally can be devastating. Much worse is that when the fire is put out, the remains of property damage linger until dealt with properly.
Effective, immediate action is essential in Houston fire and smoke damage restoration. Even after the fire is out, the damage continues. Much of the material found in furniture and flooring is synthetic. When burned, synthetics create a variety of complex chemical reactions. When these chemicals remain on your fixtures and belongings even for a few days, your valuables go from salvageable to complete losses.
The professionals of ServiceMaster Advantage are experts in understanding the cleaning agents that can effectively restore and salvage your belongings. They can even remove soot from at-risk items such as brass, aluminum, chrome, marble, tile, and porcelain as well as fabrics in upholstery and carpets. These techniques save time, money, and help get your life and home back to normal as soon as possible!
What to Do When facing Houston Fire Damage
Due to the instability of any chemicals on post-fire contents, efforts made to clean up the damages prior to the arrival of professionals may be a dire mistake due to improper cleaning that results in additional damages.
Please use extreme caution when applying these tips.
- Blow off or brush-vacuum loose soot particles from upholstery, drapes, and carpets.
- Wipe the leaves of houseplants to remove smoke residue.
- Clean Formica and chrome fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom to prevent permanent tarnishing.
- Cover carpeted traffic areas with towels or old linens to prevent additional soiling.
- If electrical service is off, clean out your freezer and refrigerator. Leave the doors propped open or place charcoal in the unit.
- Send clothing with heavy smoke damage to a qualified professional dry cleaner that specializes in smoke damage.
- Discard open food packages. The food could be contaminated.
- Wipe residue from porcelain bath fixtures to prevent etching.
- Change the air filter on your furnace if it uses forced hot air.
- Tape cheesecloth over intake and outlet air registers to capture any loose soot in the air. This is even more effective if the cheesecloth is damp.
- If the outside temperature is above 60 degrees, open all doors and windows air out the house to reduce smoke odor.
ServiceMaster Advantage has the ability to restore any Houston fire damaged home. Call us today to have your property restored back to its original beauty.