Fire & Smoke DamageFamily celebrating Christmas

While the holiday season brings festivities and celebrations, it poses a high risk of fire damage due to decorations and excessive use of electric and gas appliances. Use the following tips from ServiceMaster Advantage to avoid electrical fires and have a peaceful holiday season:

Choose a Suitable Extension Cord

It’s common to experience fires due to short circuits and other electrical problems. This happens when people install the wrong extension cords for outside usage. The extension cords come with the labels of indoor or outdoor usage. Opt for the ones designed to use outside your homes, because these cords prevent water from getting inside them. They are also durable enough to withstand weather conditions.

Place Candles in Right Place

Obviously, if you keep candles near other stuff, there are always fire risks. So, whether it’s holidays or any other day, make sure burning candles are in a safe place. Also, extinguish candles before going to sleep or leaving the house.

Additionally, always keep candles in heat-resistant items like steel plates. It’s best to avoid keeping candles near curtains, furniture, Christmas trees, and decorations.

Consider Safety While Cooking

Holiday fire cases commonly happen due to cooking carelessness. Never leave your food unattended. It’s best to avoid hanging decorations in your kitchen, especially near cooking appliances.

To avoid fire damage, you also need to keep up with the maintenance of your stove and oven. Damaged and old kitchen accessories and appliances can cause fatal disasters like fires. Experts also suggest always cleaning the stove and oven before use, as grease and leftover food can catch fire. You also need to turn off the appliances after using them.

Install Light Strands Properly

The ServiceMaster Advantage experts suggest you avoid connecting several light strands together. It can lead to electrical problems, which can cause fires. Try to check the recommendations mentioned on the label and not exceed the recommended amount. It is also important to use safe lights that come with certificates from a reputable lab.

You can also check lights before using and replace them if you find any damaged ones. In fact, you can purchase lights from trustable shops, so you don’t have to compromise on quality. We also recommend unplugging lights before sleeping to keep your house safe.

Buy New Trees

Old and dry trees are more prone to catch fire, especially because of the heat that decorative lights produce. So, when you are buying a Christmas tree, make sure its needles are bending instead of breaking. Also, the needles should be durable to avoid breakages.

To increase the life expectancy of your tree, try to keep it away from the fireplace and heat vents. This way, your tree will not dry out quickly.

Bottom Line

If you ever experience fire, even after taking all the precautions, get help as soon as possible. Call the experts to extinguish the fire. After the fire is out, contact the team at ServiceMaster Advantage. Our fire damage technicians are ready to restore your home to pre-loss condition.